Friday, August 6, 2010

My first tutorial- A reusable lunch bag


This is one of the easiest projects for me to think of to use as my first tutorial. In retrospect maybe my reusable snack bags would have been a better idea! This tutorial thing is interesting. As I made this one I wrote down each step and really hadn't realized how many little steps there are that I wanted to make sure I hit on so no one reading would be lost.
I did this one for my hubby, who usually gets forgotten when it comes to what I make. It really all depends on your fabric choice too as to who it could be for. So, here we go.

You will need:
Standard sewing tools
Paper bag or newspaper to make pattern
1/2 yard outer fabric
1/2 yard liner fabric
1/2 yard stabilizer, fusible fleece, polar fleece or whatever you want to use for the inside. It's just to give the bag some stability (for this one I used some plaid vinyl coated fabric I had on hand. I don't like plastics near the food so I positioned it so the coated part is against the outer fabric and the non coated side was towards the liner.)

First start out by making the pattern. Cut open your paper bag (or lay out newspaper).



Now cut out 2 of each of your fabrics.


Now make a "sandwich" like this: 1 outer, 1 liner, 1 stabilizing. The right sides of the outer and liner should be together for those of you using no reversible fabric such as ones with designs. (For demonstrative purposes I've placed star stickers on the right sides of my fabric.)


Pin along the top and sew straight across the top. This is going to be so you finished bag has a nice clean look.



Repeat on the other set of fabric you cut previously.
Now take one "sandwich" and flip the fabrics over so you now have the outer fabric faces right side up, the stabilzing layer is in the center and the lining fabric is at the back right side down (on table).


Press seam, pin, and sew about a 1/2 from the top.


Repeat on second sandwich.
Bast edges of each sandwich so they don't move around on you so much.


Now pin both sandwich pieces together, outer fabrics facing each other. Sew down both sides and across the bottom leave the corner cut outs open. (Sorry I forgot to take a picture of this step).
At this point I surged the raw edges on the sides and bottom to give a more clean look and so it wouldn't fray. If you can't do that a zig-zag stitch works too.


Next for the corners. Seperate pieces by sliding your finger between the two peices of outer fabric. Now bring the bottom seam to meet the side seam. Pin and sew.


Repeat on other corner and your bottom should now look like this. (I finished this edge too.)


Now draw a straight line from the corner straight up the side to the top.


Repeat on all four corners. Both sides should now look like this.


Now fold so your line is just in the center and sew along the line very closely.


Repeat on all four lines. When your done all four of the corners should now be actual corners and the bag should stand fairly well on it's own.


Alright, now flip the bag right side out. Press your corners out and your all done.






Generally I would put some kind of closure. For this one, hubby takes a large water bottle and didn't want a closure so he can just roll it closed whether or not he takes the water bottle in it.


I've shared this on



Hope you enjoyed sewing with me today! And please leave me your comments if there is anything I left out or is unclear.

As with all of my projects, I have designed them for my family and love to share with you so you can have them for your families as well. All projects, patterns and directions are meant for your personal use and neither the patterns nor completed projects are to be used for monetary gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment